Monday, October 7, 2013

My Wonder Herb, Turmeric


Cystic Fibrosis presents inflammation all over the body, in vital organs such as the lungs, intestines and in the sinus cavities (to name a few).  Even if the patient is healthy inflammation will be present.  I have severe inflammation in my intestines and sinuses and a fair amount in my lungs this makes it very uncomfortable for me to digest my foods, breathe and wrecks havoc on my sinuses.  With anyone who has inflammation it creates a problem with allowing the body to function properly, puts the body additional pain, can inhibit bacteria growth, and causes disturbances in sleeping patterns.  I have been on a hunt to use a natural anti-inflammatory especially since my doctors have put the kibosh on my use of Motrin (the only anti-inflammatory that has ever been of help to me) because of future repercussions to other vital organs.

I brought my super hero herb turmeric into play, I have been adding it to my juice whenever I can find it at my natural grocer.  I need consistency by taking it daily so I went on a search in the herbal section of my natural grocer and came to my fave brands for herbs, Organic India and found a high quality, organic supplement that just so happens to be vegan friendly.  I have seen results in just a matter of days and I am honestly thrilled with how well my body is responding to the anti-inflammatory properties especially with the healing of my sinus infection.



Aside from supplements and juicing I also use organic turmeric powder (when I do not have the actual root and if I have the root the juice works just as well) to make a healing turmeric tea with lemon and ginger, it's fantastic for a sore throat and sinuses.  If you are you suffering this season please do not hesitate to give this a try, it's slightly spicy with a touch of acidity and it is highly alkalizing.  All the makings for a healing beverage if I do say so myself.

Turmeric can help your body in 13 major ways according to Mercola:

  1. Boosts your antioxidant protection against free radicals*
  2. Helps promote your healthy skin*
  3. Supports your overall eye health*
  4. Provides you immune system support*
  5. Aids your skeletal system and joint health*
  6. Encourages your healthy liver function*
  7. Helps you maintain healthy cells with support against free radicals*
  8. Balances the health of your digestive system*
  9. Aids you in support of healthy blood and your circulatory system*
  10. Helps you maintain normal cholesterol levels to support your cardiovascular system*
  11. Assists your neurological system's healthy response to stress*
  12. Promotes a healthy female reproductive system*
  13. Helps you maintain blood sugar levels already within the normal range*

2 comments:

  1. I have read to combine it with black pepper is hundred times more effective

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also genistein, a derivative of soy, combined with turmeric and black pepper can help people with cf's salt channels work better. Check out this blog. They essentially "cured" their child's cf with this combination. http://dutchmagicfactory.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete